Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer Ends, Tears Begin

This week has been eventful. We are ending our summer programs and the majority of our teaching staff will be leaving Friday. I sincerely like the people I work with and it is hard knowing that I, most likely, will never see them again. But that is life. And I have worked at Camp Peniel to know how those seasonal friends come-and-go. Tomorrow night will be the last time we are together. English Village is taking us to see a Stomp type show called Jump. And I think tomorrow they are giving us half the day off. I know I have complained a lot about my job in this here blog and I still feel it is all justified and well deserved.
Initially I was part of the ‘5-Day’ summer program but because of internally issues (with others, not me) I was reassigned to a class that had been together for three weeks and I was coming in to finish the last week. I was so stressed and intimidated to go into an existing classroom I was literally having nightmares. And I was stepping into drama because the existing teachers were fighting or something… Anyway, I have fallen in love with my class. Korean kids are so much easier to love. And I have a personal goal to not use the word ‘love’ as flippantly as I have in the past.
For example:
I think it is blasphemous to say, “I love Reba!” or “I love You, Father God.” Then in the same breath utter, “I love butterfingers.” I need to find balance.
Let your ‘yes’ be yes and you ‘no’ be no.
But this week has been so awesome with my kids. I wish I could have been with them the whole four weeks. We did our drama today and even though I have been told multiple times the dramas are not a competition, ours was by far the best. I feel like a doting father watching my children perform. They did so well. And they put a lot of work into it. Ours was the best. Or at least second best.

Pray for me this weekend. I am meeting up with one of my new Korean friends form the naked jjimjilbang. And I just want prayer for clear communication and camaraderie. I need friends outside of my job so badly.
And later this month I am going to Taiwan to use some of the overtime hours I’ve racked up. I am going with a friend from work and pray that that go well. Being friends with someone and being good travel buddies are two different rodeos…

1 comment: