Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Jolly old Saint Nicholas lean your ear this way

I figure if you are taking the time to read this you actually know me. However, for those of you who don't know me, I think I may sounds kind of gay in some of my postings. I am fine with that, I don't need to explain myself to anybody. But saying that, I know this post aint gonna help me sound any less gayer.

I have been here in the Republic of Korea for almost four months now. The novelty has passed. I am not 'homesick' but I do miss some nouns (people, places, things). Like yesterday one of my college friends, Brianne, told me through the facebook that she missed me. Reading that almost brought me to tears. (I say 'almost' attempting maintain some semblance of masculinity). As the words, 'I miss you' maranated, I was reminded about all the relationships I am without. I mean, talking to Miss and Baylor through the Skype sometimes just isn't enough. At times I feel like a solider on the front lines. (That is a gross exaggeration that is probably offensive to actually military men.) I also haven't vocally corresponded with my bff E-currency (as he likes to call himself) since I've been here. I miss my Hardin kids so much but feel uber creepy when I facebook message them. (Just to clarify, I never instigate the message.)
I sometimes feel like the facebook makes things worse because I can see so much. I've watched Jason and Jenny's little mistake grow up through infrequent album postings. And I read about Keys advertising for the TVE stick horse race... I was there with her last year. :(


I have made some Korean friends but they are more acquaintances then actual friends. And their friendships are like Turkish delight. A little bit leaves me craving more. (Much like a REBA kiss... if you didn't get the 'Turkish Delight' simile.) These brief encounters of fellowship leave me recalling the joy relationships I've physically lost (because of Geography.) I have about four Korean, non-work friends (that are dudes) and I value them as much Sarah Palin loves shameless self-promotion.
I have met one Korean guy who is such a jolly 'gift.' His English name is Santa. I met him at the church I started going to and I've gotten to hang out with him a couple of times. This sounds so gay but I want to spend as much time with him as possible. I feel like we are getting past 'just friends' (and I completely mean that in a sexual way. Jk). I know that sounds queer but try to remember all my friends, my BROTHERS, are in the State (TEXAS) and the intRanet is the only form of communication I have with them. (which I am grateful for but I need/want intimacy here.)

Looking for an excuse to spend more time with Mr. Kringle, I asked Santa if he would be interested in reading a book together. Honestly, I was hoping for a non-religious book but he suggested "The Purpose Driven Life." I suggested REBA's autobiography but they haven't translated it into Korean yet...
I haven't read the book and am not really excited to but I look forward to having personal conversation. I think the book will help facilitate that.

In .love.
Jp

1 comment: