Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Biggest frustration thus far.

It isn’t healthy to compare teaching in Korea to my job teaching in the States but it is difficult not to. Hardin by no means was flawless and there always seemed to be… something to complain about but I don’t ever remember feeling like I was being taken advantage of. (I just ended two sentences with prepositions… My mom would be disappointed. Good thing she aint here or have internet…) Anyway, the hardest part about being here has been acclimated to being treated so poorly by my bosses. I think it may be a ‘Korean thing’ to expect me to be at the school 12 hours a day and work weekends however, I am not that culturally sensitive. It seems unconscionable to me that an employer would ask an employee to work more then the contracted time and not compensate them. What angers me more though is how my administration will try to guilt us (the Foreign teachers) into their indentured service. They maintain that if we truly cared about the kids and ‘if our hearts were in it’ we would be willing to sacrifice the extra time. Screw that. And what predominantly offends and infuriates me is that all of my bosses in administration are Christians. If you claim to be a follower of Christ by no means are you perfect, myself being the prime example. But I don’t understand how followers of Christ can treat people so poorly. I am embarrassed to claim the same faith. I do not mean to insinuate that I am the best, or even a good representation of my gracious, loving, consistent Father. But I feel guilty when I don’t do ‘right.’ I want to be here and I want it to work but that brazen American pride is making it hard to tolerate my management. I have decided not to quit. That would be too easy. But I will not be taken either. So if you see me back in my beloved State, it is because I was fired.
I genuinely desire to have share interesting, unique stories and adventures with y’all but the repetition of going to work, getting frustrated coming home to read and sleep hasn’t been significant enough to merit.
So I will look for the little stories…
Oh, and if I do die over here I can guarantee it is because I was in a shuttle van accident wither to or from work. Our drivers have to worst road-rage I have ever witnessed. I am not exaggerating by any stretch of the imagination. Actually I wish I were lying. But we almost hit something daily. And this morning our driver was going over 120 miles per hour. And that wasn’t kilometers! I know we will eventually get in an accident. I just hope we don’t end up in water. I think swimming out of a car wreck would be difficult and uncomfortable. And I don’t like to get my ears underwater.

In .love.
Jp

4 comments:

  1. So they really expect you to work 12 hours a day? I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not everyday but they want us to stay at the school and sleep in their dorms to continue working on curriculum. They have us doing classes all day. But in two weeks we have new programs that have to be created. They literally expect us to work all day in the classroom and establish a new program but don't give us time to actually work on the future programs.
    It is a business and they don’t’ seem to be great business men. They don’t have a plan.
    Ask Tam if you can organize a ‘How to be effective business people and not D.A.s and D.B.s’ workshop that you can share here!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping it gets better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Sleeping at the dorms, hunh? Is it like sleeping in the teacher's lounge? lol. I really hope things start going your way. We'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete