Thursday, July 8, 2010

This is for Mandy Keys

I feel vain and self-absorbed thinking anyone would want to read anything I write but I’ve had a few people ask me to set this blog thing up so I will try do it.
I am in South Korea and have signed a year-long contract to teach at a sort-of “English camp.” I made the decision over a year ago to pursue teaching abroad and through the help and encouragement of some friends I am here now. The application and legal hoops I was forced to hurdle were exhausting and stressful. I had made the decision to commit to a year long before I processed the emotional toll I would be subjected to. I wanted to go but it was hard to leave. Much harder then I would have liked. I try to read into signs and the getting over here process was anything but smooth. I feel like if you are pursuing the desires of your heart that the Lord will mold your heart to do what He wants from you. I had the desire to live and teach abroad. So, I figured if God did not want that from me, He would let me know. But I have never been great at hearing, interpreting, or understanding God. I’ve asked to given a direct phone line like in the old Batman television series where Commissioner Gordon could ring Batman on his red phone with the red blinking light. I wanted that red phone with God on the other end of the line. Well, I don’t have a florescent red phone so He is trusting me to use my judgment…
Anyway, the application/interview/Visa process was so stressful and trying I was starting to believe that God was whispering for me to stop. Or maybe it was just a test? Or persecution from the Devil? My traded mind is always trying to confuse me. I finally got my Visa on a Tuesday and flew out of DFW on the following Monday. The flight over wasn’t as bad as I was anticipating. I got a seat by the emergency escape which meant I had a lot of leg room so that was nice. I think I watched four movies on the way from San Francisco to Inchon.

Day one: Needless to say I was a little overwhelmed. The foreign teacher coordinator at the camp picked me up and dropped me off at my apartment. He seemed to be in a rush as if he were in a hurry to watch one of the many awful Korean comedy shows that run 24/7. He also showed me where to meet the shuttle van that picks us up to take us on our 40 minute commute to school. I was so paranoid I would oversleep, miss the van, make a bad impression, get fired, be forced to go back home, and have everyone think I couldn’t handle it… that I kept waking up every 30 minutes or so. When I actually got ready to leave it was raining and I couldn’t remember where the bus stop was. So I stood in the rain just hoping to see another white person. I actually did and they ended up working at my school. So that worked out. The first day at work was odd. Everybody else knew what they were doing and I was just… there.
The entire first week I find hard to remember I just recall being so tired all the time.

I do miss people and Camp Peniel but I don’t think I am homesick. I struggle the most at night. I have been dreaming about my empty classroom at Hardin, walking up-and-down ‘camp road’, American food, and the most random people. I have dreamt about people I never even talked to like Melcher Rockwood and Sayers Arnecke. And if you do not know who those people are, don’t work, neither do I.

That is all for now.
I do miss some of you and it still hasn’t processed that I wont see you for a year.
In .love.
Jp

4 comments:

  1. I love the blog! The blog post! And I love Justin Powers! Seriously, I miss you. It is going to be sad without you there to make me laugh, make me mad (at times) and someone that can make me drop $3,000 in one day!

    I am glad you started the blog! You will be happy that "I recommended this" because it will serve as your memory book.

    Pictures now! Please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Austin Powers! I miss you but if you are going to teach in a foreign place, it may as well be Korea instead of Hardin. lol. I can not wait to read of your adventures. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brother! I really like the idea of the blog! I always want to write you and ask you questions, but I don't always know what to ask or write so this is a really good way to know how things are going! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your phrase "traded" mind...but Im wondering if its a type-o, because, as we both know, it happens with you! What does a traded mind mean?
    Anyway, this comment post feels like a confirmation notice to the induction of your fan club- writing a blog isnt vain, its very opposite, sharing your adventure instead of hogging it for yourself!! Please know that you will be missed and loved, and secure in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete